Location on map
The area was once known as Plesti, but following the 1922 Greek military disaster in Asia Minor and the subsequent repatriation of Greeks from the town of Makri, it was renamed Nea Makri (New Makri).
The United States Navy operated a HF radio communications base north of Nea Makri from the mid to the late 20th century. The transmitters were located further north, at Kato Souli. The callsign of the station was NGR. The American naval communications station was the deployment location for Naval Mobile Construction Battalion NMCB-133, homeported in Gulfport, MS.